(Updated. Further revisions may occur.) The following is a quick report of the public meeting held by Keep West Cloverdale ALR on August 1, 2013. For details of the meeting see here. Website of the organizer is here: http://www.keepwestcloverdalealr.webs.com/.
- This is about an application to exclude 37 acres in and around Highway 10 and 168th and the Serpentine River.
- The meeting was attended by over 110 people (initial count).
- The applicant wishes to apply the the Agricultural Land Commission for an exclusion from the Agricultural Land Reserve.
- No information is available on what the applicant wishes to do with the property if excluded. There is speculation that it would be turned into an industrial business park.
- The owners previously applied to the City of Surrey to amend the designation from Agricultural to Industrial use.
- Several speakers spoke against the exclusion:
- Surrey Environmental Partners (SEP), with environmental concerns
- Farmland Defense, regarding food security)
- Surrey Matters Voters Association (Gary Robinson) – against the exclusion on a number of grounds
- Bob Bose – former City of Surrey Councillor – suggested other options such as City of Surrey purchase of properties.
Tuesday, August 6, 2013, is the deadline for the public to send comments to the ALC.
More information: www.KeepWestCloverdaleALR.webs.com